I really enjoy eating fresh tuna. It is very common in Italy, especially in Sicily so I kind of grew up on it. Since moving here, I haven’t seen it often at the stores, but when I do, I usually buy some. Today I will share with you one of the ways my mum would cook fresh tuna for us. You know how much I love sweet and sour anything, right? And this dish is no exception! It is very easy to make and the best part of it is that it can (actually it should) be prepared in advance and eaten at room temperature, which makes it perfect for summer parties and get togethers. Don’t you love recipes like this that let you enjoy the party just as much as your guests?? Enjoy!
- Season the tuna slices with salt and shallow fry them in a little vegetable oil on both sides until cooked through. Keep them aside.
- Put the sliced onions in a frying pan and cover them with water. Cook them on a medium flame until soft and the water has evaporated. Add the extra virgin olive oil and sauté them for a couple of minutes.
- Mix the sugar with the vinegar until dissolved and add this to the cooked onions. Put the fire on high and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Pour the sweet and sour onions on the tuna slices and refrigerate overnight.
- Serve the next day at room temperature.