If you like sweet and sour dishes like me, this one will make you drool. I like chicken, but it can get a bit boring and bland… especially chicken breasts or tenders. What I like about this recipe is that it is actually very quick to make and it uses a few ingredients that I would not usually think of pairing with chicken, like coconut and apricot jam. The result is so good. The chicken tenders are crunchy on the outside and moist on the inside with a delicate coconut taste, while the sauce is sweet and sour and it goes perfectly well with the tenders. Enjoy!
- 700 gms – 1.5 lbs. chicken tenders
- 1 egg
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup flour
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil spray
- ⅓ cup apricot jam
- 2 ½ tbsp Dijon mustard
- Mix the shredded coconut, flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Lightly beat the egg in another bowl.
- Dip the chicken tenders in the bowl with the beaten egg and then coat them with the coconut and flour mixture.
- Put the chicken tenders on a tray lined with baking paper and spray them with some extra virgin olive oil.
- Bake them in a pre heated oven at 200˚C – 400˚F for 30 to 40 minutes (or until cooked through), flipping once halfway.
- To make the apricot sauce, mix the apricot jam and the Dijon mustard until well combined and keep it in the fridge until the chicken tenders are ready.
- Serve the chicken tenders warm with the apricot sauce on the top.