I have seen quite a few recipes of salads that include strawberries lately and I was very curious to try one myself. I usually enjoy having fruits in savoury dishes and I think strawberries (and berries in general) make for fantastic savoury ingredients as they are slightly tart and not overly sweet. I have even made Strawberry Risotto in the past and loved it, so I wasn’t surprised to find out that strawberries in salads taste amazing! This is a very simple recipe, but what makes it stand out from all the other strawberry salad recipes is the vinaigrette made with the Strawberry Balsamic Vinegar I posted about a couple of days ago. This vinaigrette enhances the strawberry flavour and it kind of “distributes” it throughout the salad, so you taste it in every bite and not only when you eat the strawberries. I hope you like it as much as I do!
- 150 gms – 5 oz. fresh baby spinach and rocket/arugula mix
- 225 gms – 1 ½ cups strawberries, cut lengthwise into thick slices
- 50 gms – ½ cup pecan halves
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp strawberry balsamic vinegar (click here for the recipe)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- In a frying pan, lightly toast the pecan halves until just golden brown. Remove from the heat and let them cool.
- Put the strawberry balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper in a small jar. Put the lid on and shake it well to combine all the ingredients.
- Put the spinach, rocket, strawberries and pecans in a large bowl. Pour the dressing on the top and toss the salad to coat it evenly.
- Serve immediately.