I know I have already said this, but how hard is it to get adjusted to living with inverted seasons?? It is so weird to think of Christmas as a summer holiday or Easter as an autumn holiday… in the same way, April reminds me of spring, sunshine and… strawberries. So, even though it is autumn down here (though a very “mild” one), today I want to share with you a spring time recipe: Strawberry Crumble Bars. Obviously, this is a spring time dessert because it is made with strawberries, but I it calls out for spring as it is also perfect for picnics in the sun! Bars are very easy to carry around and being already cut, they make the perfect end for an outdoor meal, or snack to have on the go. Besides, these bars are so easy to make and they are utterly delicious! I love the crumble topping… it just adds that extra crunch! Enjoy!
- 80 gms – ⅓ cup + 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 225 gms – 1 ½ cups + 2 ½ tbsp flour, sifted
- ½ tsp baking powder, sifted
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 100 gms – 3.5 oz. unsalted butter, melted
- 500 gms – 1.1 lbs. strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 120 gms – ½ cup + 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Line a 20x30 cm (8x12in) baking pan with baking paper.
- Put the sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, egg and butter in an electric mixer and mix until just combined.
- Press the mixture into the base of the prepared pan and bake it in a pre heated oven at 180°C – 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and firm. Let it cool completely.
- Put the flour, butter and sugar in an electric mixer and mix until just combined (it will look like coarse breadcrumbs).