As I wrote in my previous post about the Pizza flavoured Savoury Pastries, Italian birthday parties always have some sort of savoury pastries in the menu. After taking care of the kids with Pizza, I though I should make something more suited for the adults (even though, let me tell you that many of the adults could not keep their hands off the Pizza pastries, my husband included! ;-P). So I went for one of my favourite combinations: zucchini and blue cheese. YUM! If you like a milder flavour, you could substitute blue cheese for sweet gorgonzola. Enjoy! This is going to be the last post from my daughter’s birthday party… from tomorrow, it’s back to “everyday” cooking posts!
- Cut the zucchini into very thin strips (I used a potato peeler to slice mine).
- Sauté the garlic clove with the extra virgin olive oil in a frying pan for 1 or 2 minutes. Add the sliced zucchini and cook on a high flame until soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove the garlic clove and let the zucchini cool down.
- Spread the zucchini mixture onto 2 of the puff pastry sheets. Add the crumbled blue cheese.
- Top with the remaining puff pastry sheets and press them close with your fingers.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut the 2 sets of filled pastry into 2.5 cm – 1 inch squares. Do not detach the squares at this point or the filling will come out while baking!
- Brush them with milk and bake them in a pre-heated oven at 200°C – 390°F for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- When ready, let them cool down for 5 minutes, then detach them with your hands or using the pizza cutter. Let them come back to room temperature before serving.