I have seen these on Pinterest and I just could not get them out of my mind. I think they look really cute and they fitted in perfectly with my fairy theme for Victoria’s birthday party. I have seen many “recipes” online and they all pretty much use ready made components that get assembled into acorns. I put my spin on it, mainly as I could not find the mini cookies to be attached to the Kisses, and I made my own shortbread cookies. It was quite a bit of work, but so worth it as home-made shortbread does taste better than store bought cookies, doesn’t it? The rest is very easy to do… you just attach everything together using melted chocolate as “glue”. Have fun!
- Shortbread rounds (get my recipe here)
- Hershey’s Kisses
- Chocolate, melted
- Small chocolate chips
- Start by making the shortbread cookies by following this recipe.
- Roll out the dough into a 0.5 cm – ¼ inch thick sheet. Cut into 2 cm – ¾ inch rounds.
- Place the cookies on a tray lined with baking paper and place in the fridge for 15 minutes (this will help the cookies to retain their shape when baked).
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C – 340°F on the middle rack for 13 to 15 minutes. The cookies should remain pale. Transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When the cookies are cold, attach one Hershey’s Kiss to each of the cookies, using the melted chocolate as “glue”. Put them in the fridge for 10 minutes to dry.
- Using the melted chocolate as “glue” once again, attach a chocolate chip to the base of each cookie. Put them back in the fridge for 10 minutes to dry and serve when ready.