A few months ago, I shared with you the recipe for another Crespelle “cake” made with asparagus and I liked it so much that I decided to make it again using other vegetables. This time, it’s broccoli. I adore broccoli, it is one of my favourite vegetables. I have adapted a classic pairing of Italian cuisine – broccoli and Pecorino Romano – and used it to layer this Italian crêpe cake. The result was excellent: creamy, soft, slightly salty yet delicate. And when you cut into it… oozy gooey cheese! YUM! The perfect winter comfort food! Enjoy!
- 500 gms – 1 lb. broccoli florets, cleaned
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 750 ml – 3 cups béchamel sauce, made following my tutorial
- 100 gms – 3.5 oz. Pecorino Romano, finely grated
- Put all the ingredients in an electric mixer and blend for a couple of minutes until your batter is smooth.
- Let it rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Take a non stick frying pan and put it on the fire. When hot add ¼ tsp of butter and a ladle of batter by swirling the pan so the batter coats the base of the pan. You don’t want to make the coating too thin. About 2 mm – 0.08 inches thick will work nicely. When the surface of the crespella dries up, it is time to flip it over. Do so by using a plastic spatula to loosen its sides first and then flip it over. Cook it for a minute more, then remove it from the pan and keep it aside. Repeat this till your batter is over.
- As soon as the crespelle are cool, you can assemble the cake.
- Prepare the béchamel sauce following my tutorial. Keep it aside.
- Poach the broccoli florets until cooked through. Drain and keep aside.
- Sauté the crushed garlic cloves in a pan with the extra virgin olive oil. Add the cooked broccoli and stir.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and roughly mash them with a fork, then put the fire off.
- Now you are all set to start assembling your “cake”. Put a little béchamel sauce on the bottom of a round oven proof dish. Put a crespella, cover it with béchamel sauce, broccoli and finely grated Pecorino Romano. Add another layer of crespella and repeat the layers until you run out of crespelle. Finish off with some béchamel sauce and Pecorino Romano.
- Bake the “cake” in a pre heated oven at 180°C – 355°F for 15 minutes, then grill for 5 minutes or until the top gets golden brown.
- Let it set for 5 minutes before slicing it. Serve warm