For parties, I always serve something made with puff pastry. It is somewhat due to my Italian heritage… I can’t remember a birthday party without puff pastry treats. We have them with anchovies, sausages, or all kinds of vegetables and even pizza ones. You name it. I love to make both sweet and savoury treats. I made these Pesto Pinwheels for my daughter’s 8th birthday party and they were delicious. The best part? They are very easy to make and they are ready in 20 minutes. No kidding. I used ready made Italian pesto for these, but you can make your own. If you choose to use store bought pesto, make sure you get an Italian brand when available, or use any other very good quality pesto. If you prefer to make your own, click here for my recipe.
- 2 sheets of puff pastry, thawed
- 120 gms – 4 oz. pesto
- Spread half the pesto on 1 of the puff pastry sheets.
- Cover it with the other sheet of puff pastry and top it with the remaining pesto.
- Roll the puff pastry, as tightly as possible, like a Swiss roll.
- Slice 2.5 cm – 1 inch slices and put them on a tray covered with baking paper.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°C – 390°F for 15 to 20 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.