It is time again for the “Secret recipe club” reveal! I am sure you all know what the club is about, but for the few of you who still don’t know about it, here goes a brief explanation. Each month you are assigned a participating food blogger to make a recipe from and in turn someone else will be assigned your blog. All you have to do is choose a recipe, make it and blog about it on the specified date. The only rule is to keep it a secret! If you are interested in learning more, or want to join the club, please visit the Secret recipe club website.
This month I got assigned the beautiful and very prolific Carrie’s Sweet Life by Carrie! Carry is very talented! She lives in the Twin Cities and has 2 daughters (just like me) If you like real food and delicious home cooking, you absolutely must visit her site! I went through all her recipes, but I just could not get this one out of my mind. Cherries are among my favourite fruits, they are in season down here and I think that cherry and chocolate is an amazing combo! So I really could not go past it. I can tell you this much… these brownies are fantastic: moist, chocolatey and fruity. Perfect! We all loved them so much that I can’t wait to make another batch! I made a couple of small changes to the original recipe: I only had dark chocolate at home, so I did not use a mix of semisweet or bittersweet chocolate and unsweetened chocolate like Carrie did. Because of that, I also used a little less sugar (1 cup instead of 1 ¼). I really recommend you try these brownies, especially if you are a chocoholic like yours truly!
Thank you Carrie for sharing such a delicious recipe! Enjoy everyone!
- Put the pitted cherries and 2 tablespoons of the sugar in a small pan and toss well to combine.
- Roast the cherries in a preheated oven at 230°C – 450°F for 10 minutes, or until they begin to release their juices.
- Remove the pan from the oven and reduce the temperature to 175°C – 350°F.
- Line a 23x 23cm – 9×9 inch baking pan with baking paper. To make sure the baking paper covers the full area of the pan, wet it completely and squeeze the water out. This way, it will become pliable and easier to work with.
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and butter until smooth. Whisk in the cocoa powder and mix until smooth. Set aside to cool down.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, the remaining sugar, vanilla and salt and whisk until well combined.
- Add the warm chocolate mixture and stir until incorporated.
- Then add the flour with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Gently fold in the roasted cherries.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and spread it with a spatula to make an even layer.
- Bake until slightly puffed and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out with a small amount of sticky crumbs clinging to it (this will take approximately 35 minutes). Let the brownies cool down completely inside the pan (this will take about 2 hours).
- Remove the brownies from the pan and cut into squares as desired.
- Store in an air-tight container.