I only recently discovered salted caramel popcorn. My husband bought a box of them from Costco for the birthday party of one of our daughters and I was quite sceptical about them at first. But that only lasted till the first bite. OMG, how could I have doubted these would taste so good? In fact, I love salted caramel and popcorn just adds more texture and crunch to the amazing caramel flavour. These are the BEST salted caramel popcorn EVER. They are really easy to make and… they are cheap. Much cheaper than store bought ones. In fact I recently saw some Salted Caramel Popcorn sold for an outrageous price in a “boutique shop”. So, trust me and make your own. Read on to see how easy it is and then head to your kitchen and try it, I bet you have all the ingredients in your pantry. Don’t forget to let me know how they turned out and leave a comment! Enjoy!
- Line 2 large trays with baking paper and keep them aside.
- Spray the inside of a large pot and 2 rubber spatulas with oil, set the spatulas aside (this will help you to work quickly with the caramel later).
- Put the vegetable oil in the greased pot and heat. When hot, add the corn kernels, cover and give the pan a swirl. Heat until the popping stops, then remove from the heat, remove the lid and keep aside.
- In another large pot combine the sugar, water, butter and salt. Stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved (do not allow the mixture to boil at this stage).
- Once all of the sugar has dissolved, bring to a boil and boil without stirring until the caramel is golden brown (this will take a while, so be patient!).
- Pour the caramel over the popcorn and toss well with the oiled spatulas.
- Pour the caramel coated popcorn onto 2 large lined trays and press out with the oiled spatulas, allow to set at room temperature.
- Once hard and cold, break into bite-size pieces and store in an airtight container until ready to serve.