I always make cupcakes for my kids birthday parties as I love how festive they look and kids always devour them! As my youngest daughter’s birthday party was all about Miffy (and bunnies), I thought of making carrot cupcakes in the hope of keeping things on the “healthy side” (well… at least they did have carrots inside!). I also made them small as I think they are the best size for kids parties, they are easier to handle and you never have leftovers. I decorated them with a classic cream cheese frosting… yum! If you follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Google+, you will have recognised the toppers as I posted a picture of them a few days ago. I had a blast making these tiny fondant carrot toppers! And they were very easy to make… all you need is a little orange and green fondant and a knife! Don’t they look cute?? Enjoy!
- 250 gms – 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 400 gms – 2 cups sugar
- 1 ¼ cups vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 390 gms – 3 cups grated carrots
- 450 gms – 16 oz. FULL FAT (see notes) cream cheese, softened
- 115 gms – ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300 gms – 2 ½ cups confectioners/icing sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- Orange Fondant
- Green Fondant
- Put the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger in a bowl and whisk together.
- In another bowl, whisk together the oil and sugar until combined. Add the eggs one at a time, whisking to incorporate between each addition.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Add the grated carrots and gently mix with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Line a muffin tin with paper cups and spoon the mixture into them, until each cup is about ¾ full.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C – 355°F for 15 to 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool down.
- Make small rounded triangles with the orange fondant (try to make them look like carrots).
- Make some indentations with a knife along the “carrot” to make it look more real.
- With a toothpick, make a small hole at the wider end of each carrot and, using a little water as glue, attach a small piece of green fondant to make it look like carrot leaves.
- Let the toppers dry for a few minutes and then put them in an air tight container until ready to use.
- In a stand mixer, combine the cream cheese and butter, and beat on medium high speed until smooth. Add the vanilla and salt and mix until incorporated.
- Gradually add the icing sugar, and beat until light and fluffy (this will take about 3-4 minutes).
- Pipe onto the cold cupcakes and decorate with the carrot toppers.
I made the cupcakes in advance and froze them. I thawed them at room temperature the day of the party and frosted them before serving.
Use only full fat cream cheese. I tried it with reduced fat cream cheese, but the frosting was way too soft and had to make it again!