Everyone loves pizza, right?? Today I am sharing with you the recipe for one of my favourite topping: Tuna and Onion Pizza! You know how I feel about pizza toppings, to me a “real” pizza must have only certain toppings. No gourmet pizza for me – I love tandoori chicken or bulgogi, but not on my pizza! You can read my do’s and dont’s of pizza toppings here. This Tuna and Onion Pizza is a classic pizza and you can easily find it on any pizzeria menu in Italy. Pizza is a simple and hearty dish, just like Italian cuisine in general: there is no need to complicate it. Try it and le me know how you like it. Buon appetito!
- 1 batch of pizza dough (click here for the recipe)
- 400 ml – 13.5 oz. tomato puree
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp oregano
- Salt to taste
- 350 gms – 12.5 oz. bocconcini or fresh mozzarella, (half sliced and half shredded)
- 2x185 gms – 6.5 oz. cans of tuna, under oil, drained and crumbled
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Make the pizza dough as per this recipe and keep it to rise.
- While the dough rests, prepare the toppings: slice and shred the mozzarella.
- Prepare the tomato base by mixing the tomato purée with the extra virgin olive oil, oregano and salt to taste.
- When the pizza dough is ready, divide it in 4 smaller balls and roll them with a rolling pin into 4 circles approximately 0.5 cm – ¼ inch thick.
- Now spread the tomato base on the pizza and bake in a preheated fan forced oven at 180°C – 355°F for 15 minutes.
- Take them out of the oven and put the mozzarella, tuna and sliced onion on the top. Put back in the oven for 5 minutes to let the cheese melt.
- When ready, take the pizze out of the oven and drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil.
- Decorate with fresh basil leaves, cut and enjoy warm!