My series of posts dedicated to my Foodbuzz 24×24 Christmas in July event is back after a few days’ break and 2 guest posts! Thank you again Kankana from Sunshine & Smile and Erin from Big Fat Baker! This is a typical Christmas salad as it is made with winter ingredients, but I love it all year round. The ingredients all balance out: fennel slices for the crunch, black olives for a little tanginess and oranges for the sweetness. I am a big fan of fruits in salads and oranges are the best as they help make a natural dressing by releasing their juice. That is why I only dress this salad with some extra virgin olive oil and salt. I like to keep it simple and let the ingredients shine through.
Ingredients: (for 4 people)
1 big fennel bulb, sliced
2 oranges, sliced
Kalamata olives, pitted
Extra virgin olive oil
Slice the fennel and orange and put them in a bowl with the black olives.
Dress the salad with some extra virgin olive oil and salt and mix well. Arrange on a plate and serve as a side for red meat, chicken or even fish.
On a completely different note, I’d like to thank Purabi from Cosmopolitan Currymania and Sawsan from Chef in Disguise for giving Manu’s Menu the following awards: the Blog on Fire Award and the Sunshine Award from Purabi
and another Blog on Fire Award from Sawsan
Thank you so much ladies! I am honoured and so happy to receive these awards from such talented foodies like the two of you. You guys should check out their sites and see what I am talking about. Purabi has some of the most delicious curry recipes of the blogosphere on her site, while Sawsan’s Middle Eastern and Mediterranean (but not exclusively) cuisine brings me back to my origins!
As per tradition… here are 10 facts about me that you still do not know:
- I eat almost everything now, but as a child I was a very fussy eater. I remember taking hours to finish my meal even though my mum was a very good cook. I also remember wanting to eat the same dish for months in a row, until I was so tired of it that I would pick something else to eat everyday. Now that I have a daughter who does the same thing, I realise how hard it must have been for my mum!! But I also know that my daughter will change.
- Like almost all Italians, I used to LOVE soccer. My favourite team is Juventus, but I do not follow soccer much anymore. However I still enjoy watching an occasional match when they show it on TV.
- My favourite animal is the cow. As a teenager, I would collect everything with a cow theme.
- Even though I adore food, I am not a big wine drinker. It’s not that I don’t like it, I am just not used to drinking it. My parents never drank wine, so we would open a bottle of wine only when we had guests over. I know… something I have to improve on as a “foodie”! I do however like cocktails and sweet wines! 😉
- I LOVE Australia. I always talk about Italy and how good Italian food is… so I want this to be clear: I feel just as Australian as I feel Italian. Coming here was a choice and one that I will never regret! Australia is a beautiful country, with lots to offer, and the people here are as friendly as it gets. So, if you haven’t visited Aussie yet, start planning your next holidays!
- You already know I love travelling, but you probably do not know that I am contribuiting to an Italian travel website called Turisti per Caso. I am one of their guides/moderator for Australia and I help Italians plan their holidays “down under”. You would be surprised to know that 90% of these people come here on their honeymoon. Needless to say, it makes me really happy to advise them on how to make the most of their visit!
- My husband and I, instead, spent our honeymoon lazing out in the Maldives!
- If I had the time, I would love to learn Hindi so I could teach it to my daughters. Bizarrely enough my husband (who is of Indian origin) barely speaks it anymore!!
- My favourite fruit is cherries!
- I was born in 1978… so I am 33 years OLD! 🙂
Now, time to pass on these awards… to:
Have fun browsing through these delicious blogs! I love each one of them! And thank you again so much Purabi and Sawsan for awarding Manu’s Menu! <3