It is time again for the “Secret recipe club” reveal! I am sure you all know what the club is about, but for the few of you who still don’t know about it, here goes a brief explanation. Each month you are assigned a participating food blogger to make a recipe from and in turn someone else will be assigned your blog. All you have to do is choose a recipe, make it and blog about it on the specified date. The only rule is to keep it a secret! If you are interested in learning more, or want to join the club, please visit the Secret recipe club website.
This month I got assigned the amazing Gastronomical Sovereignty by Kristy! Kristy is a very talented Canadian blogger who has just moved from Victoria BC to Toronto. I loved her website and her writing style: witty and meaningful. I also loved her pictures and I think she is a really gifted photographer! You absolutely must visit her site! I short-listed 3 recipes (all sweet this time): Wine Poached Pears with Spice and Lemon, her Pumpkin Pie and these delicious looking Pumpkin Doughnuts that I ended up making. Both my girls and husband have a thing for doughnuts and I was very curious to taste them made with pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. I am so happy I made them! They were a big success and I got asked to make another batch soon! They tasted delicious… like a beautiful autumn day! I know it’s spring down here, but I will never get adjusted to these reversed seasons and every now and then I love making autumn food in November! Enjoy!
Thank you Kristy for sharing such a delicious recipe!
- 120 gms – ½ cup fresh pumpkin purée
- 215 gms – 1 ¾ cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice + ½ tsp for coating
- 65 gms – ⅓ cup granulated sugar + 100 gms – ½ cup for coating
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 120 ml – ½ cup half and half cream (I used 60 ml – ¼ cup heavy cream and 60 ml – ¼ cup milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying + 2 tbsp for the dough
- Put the 100 gms – ½ cup of sugar and the ½ tsp of pumpkin pie spice in a bowl, mix well and set aside to use for coating.
- In one bowl, mix together all the wet ingredients (pumpkin purée, sugar, egg, cream, vanilla extract and the 2 tbsp of vegetable oil).
- In another bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon powder).
- Now add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and whisk until just combined.
- Deep fry the doughnuts by dropping spoonfuls of batter in the warm vegetable oil. The temperature of the oil is very important. It should remain constant at 170ºC – 340ºF. If the temperature is higher, the doughnuts will brown too quickly and will remain raw inside, if the temperature is lower, they will get soggy and oily. Keep in mind that they will take about 4 to 5 minutes to cook.
- When ready, put them on a plate covered with kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil, and then roll them in the sugar and pumpkin pie spice mixture.