Today’s recipe comes straight from Portugal. If you follow this blog more or less regularly, you will know I adore Portugal. I have been there only once, many moons ago, but I was never able to take it out of my head and heart. So, every now and then, I cook Portuguese food in an attempt to quench my saudade, my nostalgia. I first ate this Salada de Bacalhau e Grão in a tiny restaurant in Evora. Evora is a beautiful little town in the region of Alentejo, which is my favourite area in Portugal. The countryside is so beautiful, scattered with cork oaks and hills, and Evora is a little gem, that deserves to be discovered. It is enclosed within medieval walls and the centre is filled with beautiful ancient buildings, churches, little streets and squares. It even boasts its own little Roman temple, no wonder it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site! But the sight that is forever etched in my mind is a fountain that has the shape of a globe surrounded by water, a clear reference to the Age of Discovery. So beautiful! But back to today’s recipe. The salad itself is very simple and uses typical Portuguese ingredients: bacalhau (aka salted cod) and chickpeas. I guess its simplicity is one of the reasons for which this is one of my favourite salads (salted cod is another reason): you clearly get to taste all its ingredients and they all go very well together. Enjoy with a glass of Portuguese wine! Bom Apetite!
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 2 tbsp red or white wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Start by soaking the salted cod for 24 hours in cold water (remember to change the water frequently to get rid of the salt).
- The next day, clean the fish by removing the skin and bones (when present) and boil it in hot water for 10 to 15 minutes (or until cooked through). Drain it well and cut it into small pieces/flakes.
- In a serving bowl, mix together the pieces of salted cod, the chickpeas, parsley and red onion.
- To prepare the vinaigrette, put all the ingredients in a little jar, close the lid tightly and shake it until well combined.
- Pour it over the salad and mix well.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.