I have only recently discovered Gozleme. Sydney is full of little Turkish shops that sell amazing food, but I had always ordered a kebab or a pide. At least until a few months ago, when I had a spinach and feta Gozleme and I loved it so much, I have never ordered anything else. I must confess a little secret. I have my very favourite spot for Turkish food: it is a little take away shop I often go to, when doing my shopping at Costco, in Sydney. For all you Sydneysiders… if you are ever at Costco, do me (and yourselves) a favour and stop by the Lidcombe Power Centre, just opposite Costco. On the ground floor there is the best Kebab shop in town! They make amazing pides too and, of course, delicious Gozlemes. I will have to write a full review of their food as it is definitely worth it! Like with all things I love, I thought of trying the DIY way… and I found a great recipe for it! So, here goes my home-made Spinach and Feta Gozleme which tastes as amazing as the ones my favourite shop makes! Enjoy!
- 1 big bunch English spinach, washed
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Sauté the onion in a frying pan with the extra virgin olive oil. Add the spinach and salt and pepper to taste and cook for about 3 minutes. Turn the heat off and keep aside to cool down.
- Put the flour and salt in a bowl and slowly add the water while kneading.
- Knead the dough for about 10 minutes, or until it becomes smooth.
- Make it into a ball, cover it with a damp paper towel and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Cut the dough in 4 with a knife and roll out each piece into a very thin sheet.
- Spread the cooked spinach in the middle of the rolled dough and top it with the feta and mozzarella.
- First fold the opposite sides to cover the filling and then fold the 3rd and 4th side to cover up the filling, just like a parcel (as shown in the picture).
- Heat up a non stick pan (I brushed a little oil on it) on medium heat and cook one side of the Gozleme on it until there are some brown spots on it. Then turn it over and cook the second side.
- Slice and serve warm.