This week’s Sunday Supper event is a Chili Cook-off! So all the bloggers taking part to this event will post chili recipes! Not only… being a “real cook-off” we also have public voting for the best chili recipe! The lucky winner will receive a Food and Wine Conference ticket PLUS a gift card. The voting will be done on the Sunday Supper Movement website and hosted by Heather, SSM Online Community Magazine Editor-in-Chief. How fun is that??
I was so happy when I found out about the theme as I LOVE Chili! You see, in Italy it is considered “ethnic/Mexican” food, and it is very uncommon. I ate it for the first time in Paris in a Tex-Mex restaurant in my teen age years and I fell in love with the flavours. A couple of years later I found a recipe in an old magazine and twisted it to my liking… and that’s the recipe I will share with you today. Before we move on to the recipe though, I should clarify that “my Chili” includes beans. In fact, I did not know this, but some people believe that “real chili” should be made with only beef and chili, and that too, with stew-like pieces of beef. Nowadays there are so many variations of chili that sound awesome, but as I still don’t have any on my blog, I decided to stick with my old trustworthy recipe. This dish is very easy and also relatively quick to make, especially if you use canned beans. I hadn’t made it in such a long time that I had almost forgotten how much I liked it! It is such a hearty and comforting dish! I love to eat it with avocado, tomato, coriander leaves and a dollop of sour cream to cut through the spices! YUM!
A huge thank you to Heather of GirliChef for being a wonderful host for this week’s event!
Easy Chili Con Carne #SundaySupper
How to make a quick and easy Chili con Carne with beans and ground beef!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 500 gms – 1.1 lbs. beef ground
- 400 gms – 14 oz. red kidney beans canned and rinsed
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1.5 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 400 gms – 14 oz. diced tomatoes canned
- Salt to taste
- Tomato chopped
- Sour Cream
- Coriander leaves
Sauté the chopped onion and garlic with the olive oil over medium heat in a large heavy-based pot. Cook until softened.
Add the ground beef and brown the meat breaking all the lumps.
Add the paprika, cumin powder, coriander powder, oregano and stir.
Add the tomato purée, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, a few coriander leaves and 500 ml – 2 cups of water. Stir until combined.
Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
Season with salt and pepper.
Serve topped with chopped avocado, tomato, sour cream and extra coriander leaves.
And check out what my fellow bloggers made!
Will YOU be a part of the #SundaySupper Chili Cook-Off judges panel this week? Voting is live at the Sunday Supper Movement Online Community Magazine starting now and concluding (fittingly) on February 27 – National Chili Day! Browse the submissions and cast your vote by clicking HERE!
Beef and Bison Chili
- Bison & Black Bean Chili from It’s Yummi!
- Cincinnati Chili from Savvy Eats
- Easy Beef Bean Chili from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Easy Chili con Carne from Manu’s Menu
- Gesundheit Chili from Magnolia Days
- Hellfire Chili from Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Hoisin Beef Chili from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Moroccan Harissa Spiked Chili from MarocMama
- Short Rib Chili from The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Chili from Hip Foodie Mom
Chicken, Duck, and Turkey Chili
- Asian Five Spice Duck Chili from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Buffalo Turkey Chili from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chicken and Bell Pepper Chili from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Meatball Chipotle Chili from Soni’s Food
- Gluten Free Turkey Chili from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Kickin’ Chicken Chili from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Low Calorie Turkey Chili from Basic N Delicious
- Olé Mole Turkey Chili from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Quick & Easy Chipotle Turkey Chili from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Shockingly Delicious Chili Mole with Red Beans and Raisins from Shockingly Delicious
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili from Family Foodie
- Thai Chicken Chili from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- White Chicken Chili from The Foodie Army Wife
Mixed (meat combo) Chili
- Best Damn Chili Ever from Noshing With The Nolands
- Chili con Tres Carne from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Daddy’s Favorite Chili from Momma’s Meals
- Harlem Meatloaf Chili from Neighborfood
- Leslie’s Best Chili from La Cocina de Leslie
Fish and Seafood Chili
- Scrumptious Seafood Chili from A Kitchen Hoor
- Easy Vegetarian Chili with Raisins and Cashews from Delaware Girl Eats
- New Orleans Style Vegetarian Chili from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Vegan Slow Cooker Chili from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Chicken Chili Cheese Fries from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chili Cornbread Cupcakes from In The Kitchen With KP
- Chili Topped Tater Tots from Ruffles & Truffles
- Spicy Chili Mac from girlichef
Best Wines To Pair with Chili #SundaySupper from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.