This is one of my “go to” recipes for a quick, yet delicious mid week meal. Schiacciatina means “something small that has been pressed”, and it is basically a very flat burger made with only ground beef, Parmigiano Reggiano, salt and pepper. My mum used to make this often for me as a child. I used to be fussy (I know, it is hard to believe now… if you know me, you’d know I eat “almost” anything!), but she would never go wrong with schiacciatina! Having 2 young children who go through periods of fussiness (and often at alternate times, so I can never relax!), I resort to making this easy dish quite often. And they both devour it! I must admit, my husband and I enjoy it too, so it is a win win situation! The best part of it is that you will have dinner on the table in minutes! I usually serve it with chips (or baked potatoes) and a salad, for a complete meal. Enjoy!
- In a bowl, mix together the ground beef, Parmigiano Reggiano, salt and pepper. Knead well.
- Divide the mixture in 4 and make 4 balls. Put them on a lightly floured surface and flatten them with your hands. To make them thin, use your fist and “punch them” flat. They need to be about 2 or 3 mm thick.
- Coat them with a little flour on both sides and keep them aside.
- Put ¼ of the butter and ½ tbsp of extra virgin olive oil in a frying pan. When the butter melts, add 1 schiacciatina and cook it, on a medium-high flame, for a couple of minutes per side. Repeat for the remaining schiacciatine.
- Serve warm with some chips and salad!