Last week I blogged about PHILADELPHIA #FridgeShelfies, a campaign that wants to inspire Aussies to get more creative in the kitchen, with new and exciting recipes developed using the ingredients already in their fridges. I immediately loved the concept because, let’s face it, that’s what we have to do everyday. We open the fridge and cook with what we have in it… but the fun part is, we don’t have to make the same dishes over and over again, we can use our creativity and push ourselves to be more inventive. Sometimes even the most unexpected ingredients can be combined to create something utterly delicious, just like these Chicken and Sun dried Tomato Rolls!
So, how does PHILADELPHIA #FridgeShelfies work? All you have to do is take a picture of the contents of your fridge (make sure the ingredients are visible) and upload it to the Philly Australia’s Facebook page, or tag @PhillyAus on Instagram. In both cases, remember to use the hashtag #fridgeshelfies. Philly will then give you a recipe, based on the ingredients that appear in your photo. The best #FridgeShelfies entry will win a trip for two to Melbourne and a $1,000 shopping spree at Salt&Pepper Home!
As I really liked the idea I decided to give it a go too. Here is the picture I submitted for #FridgeShelfies. You can check out my entry on the Philly Australia’s Facebook page too!
The Philly team quickly replied with a delicious “personalised” recipe: Chicken and Sun dried Tomato Rolls! Told you I would report back, didn’t I? These rolls were made using the chicken, eggs, parsley, pastry, PHILLY block and chives in my fridge.
These rolls are similar to sausage rolls, but made with chicken and the addition of Philadelphia makes the filling soft and juicy. I really liked the use of apples and red onions in it too, as they give the dish a great balance between sweet and tart. These rolls are a great snack idea and my kids have already requested them for their lunch boxes. I think they are also great for entertaining, pool parties, barbecues and kids celebrations! Definitely a must try.
So, what are you waiting for? Do Your Thing and participate! Be adventurous in the kitchen for your chance to win a trip for two to Melbourne and a $1,000 shopping spree at Salt&Pepper Home!
- 500 gms – 1.1 lb. chicken mince
- 125 gms – 4.5 oz. PHILADELPHIA Block Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 small apple, grated
- 1 small red onion, grated
- ½ cup semi sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp chives, snipped
- 3 sheets ready rolled puff pastry (or fillo), thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- Sesame seeds, for sprinkling
- Rosemary, for sprinkling
- Ketchup or Tomato chutney, for serving
- Put the chicken mince, cream cheese, apple, onion, sun-dried tomatoes and herbs in a bowl. Mix well with your hands as if you were making meatballs.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal parts.
- Cut each puff pastry sheet in half. If using fillo pastry, remember to brush each sheet with butter and make at least 5 to 6 layers of pastry.
- Spoon one quantity of mince mixture along one long edge of each sheet of pastry.
- Brush the opposite edge with egg wash and roll the pastry over to enclose the filling. Lightly press the edges together to seal the roll.
- Cut each roll in 4 to make 24 smaller rolls and place them onto baking trays. Make two diagonal slits on the top of each roll (optional).
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle the top with sesame seeds and/or rosemary.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°C – 390°F for 20 minutes or until the mince is cooked and the pastry is crisp and golden.
- Serve hot or warm with ketchup or tomato chutney.
Click here to read more about #FridgeShelfies, including terms and conditions.
Visit philly.com.au for recipes for every occasion and, of course, to learn about the Philly range. The Philly Australia’s Facebook page page also features great recipe ideas, to help you get creative in the kitchen.