It is time again for the “Secret recipe club” reveal! I am sure you all know what the club is about, but for the few of you who still don’t know about it, here goes a brief explanation. Each month you are assigned a participating food blogger to make a recipe from and in turn someone else will be assigned your blog. All you have to do is choose a recipe, make it and blog about it on the specified date. The only rule is to keep it a secret! If you are interested in learning more, or want to join the club, please visit the Secret recipe club website.
I was very excited when I saw this month’s assignment as I got to remake one of Veronica’s dishes shared on her My Catholic Kitchen! Veronica is a self taught cook and photographer and I can completely relate to that! She is very talented and even though I had a few of her recipes bookmarked, I could not take these wings out of my mind. I know, I know… I have chosen wings for last month’s reveal as well (I am quite sure you remember these Sweet Chilli and Orange Chicken Wings), but as I don’t have many chicken wings recipes in my “portfolio” and they are always handy for entertaining guests… I thought I should really try them out. I must also say that I was very curious about how cooked Coca Cola would taste like. I had never ever cooked with coke before! And I know this recipe will sound really weird to all my Italian friends! But I was very pleasantly surprised by the result… and yes, they taste just as good as they look! The coke caramelises and gives out a hint of sweetness that contrasts with the saltiness of the soy sauce. These wings are also sticky (just the way I like them) and slightly smoky in taste! Delicious… and once again, I think the pictures speak for themselves!
Thank you Veronica for sharing such a yummy recipe! Enjoy everyone!
- Put the chicken wings in a zip lock bag with half the soy sauce. Move the wings around in the bag until they are well coated.
- Let them marinade for 10 to 15 minutes at room temperature.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok over medium heat.
- Sauté the chicken wings until they are golden brown on each side (this will take about 8 minutes).
- Mix the remaining soy sauce, sherry and coke together and pour the mixture into the wok. Bring the liquid to a simmer.
- Simmer the wings for 15 to 20 minutes, until the liquid is reduced to a glaze.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate, garnish with the chives and serve.