Today’s recipe is pure comfort food. As days get shorter and the weather gets cooler down here, I do feel the like cooking some hearty and comforting food. I love vegetables, but my husband is a carnivore and he’s never fully satisfied with a vegetarian dinner. This recipe satisfies the whole family as it has veggies, meat and cheese in it, for my kids’ joy! I also think the halved eggplant look really cute and could be an impressive main dish for a dinner party. If you are lucky enough to find small eggplant, they would be great as appetisers or buffet food! They are best eaten lukewarm as all the flavours have the time to amalgamate. Buon appetito!
- Using a melon baller, excavate the halved eggplants. Keep about 1 cm – ½ inch of pulp or the eggplant may break while cooking.
- Chop the excavated pulp and sauté it with the extra virgin olive oil until soft.
- Put the chopped onion in a pan and cover it with water. Cook it on a low flame until soft.
- Remove the sausage from the casing and mix it well with the egg, parsley, chopped scamorza, chilly, cooked onion and eggplant pulp. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fill the eggplant halves with this stuffing and bake them at 180°C – 355°F for 40 minutes or until cooked through (pierce the eggplant with a wooden stick to make sure they are soft).
- Serve lukewarm.