This week’s Sunday Supper event is a Chili Cook-off! So all the bloggers taking part to this event will post chili recipes! Not only… being a “real cook-off” we also have public voting for the best chili recipe! The lucky winner will receive a Food and Wine Conference ticket PLUS a gift card. The voting will be done on the Sunday Supper Movement website and hosted by Heather, SSM Online Community Magazine Editor-in-Chief. How fun is that??
I was so happy when I found out about the theme as I LOVE Chili! You see, in Italy it is considered “ethnic/Mexican” food, and it is very uncommon. I ate it for the first time in Paris in a Tex-Mex restaurant in my teen age years and I fell in love with the flavours. A couple of years later I found a recipe in an old magazine and twisted it to my liking… and that’s the recipe I will share with you today. Before we move on to the recipe though, I should clarify that “my Chili” includes beans. In fact, I did not know this, but some people believe that “real chili” should be made with only beef and chili, and that too, with stew-like pieces of beef. Nowadays there are so many variations of chili that sound awesome, but as I still don’t have any on my blog, I decided to stick with my old trustworthy recipe. This dish is very easy and also relatively quick to make, especially if you use canned beans. I hadn’t made it in such a long time that I had almost forgotten how much I liked it! It is such a hearty and comforting dish! I love to eat it with avocado, tomato, coriander leaves and a dollop of sour cream to cut through the spices! YUM!
A huge thank you to Heather of GirliChef for being a wonderful host for this week’s event!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 500 gms – 1.1 lbs. beef, ground
- 400 gms – 14 oz. red kidney beans, canned and rinsed
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1.5 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 400 gms – 14 oz. diced tomatoes, canned
- Salt to taste
- Sauté the chopped onion and garlic with the olive oil over medium heat in a large heavy-based pot. Cook until softened.
- Add the ground beef and brown the meat breaking all the lumps.
- Add the paprika, cumin powder, coriander powder, oregano and stir.
- Add the tomato purée, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, a few coriander leaves and 500 ml – 2 cups of water. Stir until combined.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with chopped avocado, tomato, sour cream and extra coriander leaves.
And check out what my fellow bloggers made!
Will YOU be a part of the #SundaySupper Chili Cook-Off judges panel this week? Voting is live at the Sunday Supper Movement Online Community Magazine starting now and concluding (fittingly) on February 27 – National Chili Day! Browse the submissions and cast your vote by clicking HERE!
Beef and Bison Chili
- Bison & Black Bean Chili from It’s Yummi!
- Cincinnati Chili from Savvy Eats
- Easy Beef Bean Chili from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Easy Chili con Carne from Manu’s Menu
- Gesundheit Chili from Magnolia Days
- Hellfire Chili from Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Hoisin Beef Chili from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Moroccan Harissa Spiked Chili from MarocMama
- Short Rib Chili from The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Chili from Hip Foodie Mom
Chicken, Duck, and Turkey Chili
- Asian Five Spice Duck Chili from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Buffalo Turkey Chili from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chicken and Bell Pepper Chili from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Meatball Chipotle Chili from Soni’s Food
- Gluten Free Turkey Chili from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Kickin’ Chicken Chili from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Low Calorie Turkey Chili from Basic N Delicious
- Olé Mole Turkey Chili from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Quick & Easy Chipotle Turkey Chili from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Shockingly Delicious Chili Mole with Red Beans and Raisins from Shockingly Delicious
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili from Family Foodie
- Thai Chicken Chili from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- White Chicken Chili from The Foodie Army Wife
Mixed (meat combo) Chili
- Best Damn Chili Ever from Noshing With The Nolands
- Chili con Tres Carne from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Daddy’s Favorite Chili from Momma’s Meals
- Harlem Meatloaf Chili from Neighborfood
- Leslie’s Best Chili from La Cocina de Leslie
Fish and Seafood Chili
- Scrumptious Seafood Chili from A Kitchen Hoor
- Easy Vegetarian Chili with Raisins and Cashews from Delaware Girl Eats
- New Orleans Style Vegetarian Chili from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Vegan Slow Cooker Chili from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Chicken Chili Cheese Fries from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chili Cornbread Cupcakes from In The Kitchen With KP
- Chili Topped Tater Tots from Ruffles & Truffles
- Spicy Chili Mac from girlichef
Best Wines To Pair with Chili #SundaySupper from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.