Today I want to share with you a very easy recipe. I love making at home, food that you would usually buy ready made at the stores. It is often so much tastier and definitely healthier! I actually had to make this for another recipe that called for chocolate syrup, which is an item that I never have around, as I have never liked the taste of the store bought stuff (it is usually too sweet and not “chocolatey” enough for me ;-P). Well, let me tell you that I really liked this home-made version! And so did my girls who finished up whatever was left after I used some in another recipe. They also liked it in the milk that they have for breakfast! The original recipe calls for more sugar than what I have used (see ingredient list), but I found it already quite sweet for me. Anyhow, feel free to use a bit more sugar if you like. And don’t forget to come back tomorrow for another delicious idea on how to use this chocolate syrup!
- 65 gms – ½ cup cocoa powder
- 250 ml – 1 cup water
- 300 gms – 1 ½ cups sugar (though the original recipe called for 2 cups)
- 1 pinch salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Mix the cocoa powder and water in a pot. Put it on a medium flame and stir to dissolve the cocoa powder.
- Add the sugar and keep stirring until dissolved.
- Boil the mixture for 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the salt and vanilla and stir.
- Let it cool down, then pour into a clean glass jar and store it in the fridge.
You can use it to top ice cream or other sweets or to make chocolate milk and liquors.