After showing you how easy it is to make “ricotta” at home, I thought I would also show you an additional way to cook with it. I love ricotta, both in sweet and savoury dishes. Sicilians are famous for their ricotta desserts and I must admit I love sweet ricotta. It is lighter (also in calories) than many other fillings, yet so flavoursome. It is creamy and bold and when it is paired with dark chocolate, it becomes irresistible. Today I am going to share with you another one of my family recipes. It is a cake I have always liked so much that I would ask my mum to make it for my birthday! Always. It is a very simple cake: a crostata filled with sweet ricotta, chocolate and raisins. That’s it. It comes together pretty quickly and it is quite forgiving. There is no icing or complicated decoration, yet it looks good and, above all, it is hearty and satisfying for your palate and tummy. It is the perfect treat for tea time! Buon appetito!
- 250 gms – 8.8 oz. flour
- 125 gms – 4.4 oz. sugar
- 125 gms – 4.4 oz. softened unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch of salt
- Knead the flour together with the sugar, butter, egg and salt until obtaining a smooth dough.
- Wrap it with some cling wrap and put it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Put the raisins in a bowl with the Rum to infuse for 10 minutes.
- Put the ricotta, sugar and vanilla essence in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until smooth.
- Add the dark chocolate chips, raisins and candied orange zests and mix well with a rubber spatula.
- Take the dough out of the fridge, place it on a sheet of baking paper and roll it into a 1.5 cm – 0.6 inch thick sheet.
- Put the dough into a greased spring-form pan (I line mine with baking paper) and press it down. Make sure to leave at least 3 cm – 1.2 inches of extra dough on the sides. Keep the trimmings aside to use as decoration.
- Pour the ricotta cream on top of the prepared dough and decorate with the dough trimmings.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C – 355°F for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let it cool down completely and sprinkle with icing sugar before serving it.