Today’s recipe is literally called “Granny’s Apple Cake”, but it’s not my granny’s recipe. It is indeed, a very classic Italian style apple cake, one that my granny would have loved. I have a thing for apple cakes and pies. I find them really comforting. As it is the beginning of winter here in Australia (and it’s pretty cold too!), what better time to make such a cake? This recipe is very easy and quick to make and the result is outstanding: a soft, fruity, light and delicious cake. I love to serve it with a hot cup of tea in the afternoon for a comforting snack. Make it and let me know what you think!
- Grease and coat with flour a 22 cm – 9 inch springform pan and keep it aside.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the melted butter and keep beating.
- Add the milk and flour, little by little and keep beating.
- Add the baking powder, salt, lemon zest and vanilla extract.
- Fold in the apple slices and pour into the prepared springform pan.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C – 355°F for 45 minutes.
- Let the cake cool down, then unmould it, dust it with icing sugar and serve it.