I LOVE sausage. As a child, it used to be my favourite dish ever. We would almost only have it in summer though, as we would find the best sausage in Sicily. We would barbecue it and enjoy it in the most simple way. It was so good that you didn’t really have to add anything to it. Here in Australia, finding good Italian sausage is quite hard. Italian sausage is available, but I am quite spoilt when it comes to sausage. So I often make my own. It is very easy to make, and it tastes so much better! I have a few recipes for sausage on the site, but for this Italian Sausage with Bell Peppers and Potatoes recipe, I suggest you make (or buy) the Sicilian version, the one with fennel seeds. Today’s recipe is a gem. It is the perfect family pleaser and midweek dinner idea. It comes together in 15 minutes and then you just need to put it in the oven… Easy! And it comes with its own vegetables, so no need to make extra! I love these kind of dishes, don’t you? Do let me know!
- 450 gms – 1 lb. red bell pepper, cleaned and thickly sliced
- 450 gms – 1 lb. medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 6 pieces
- 450 gms – 1 lb. Italian pork sausage, roughly chopped
- ½ onion, roughly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 100 ml – ⅓ cup tomato puree
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 basil leaves
- Salt to taste
- Put the bell pepper, potatoes, onion, garlic, basil leaves, tomato puree, extra virgin olive oil and salt in a big bowl and mix well.
- Put the mixture into an baking dish. Top with the chopped sausage and mix.
- Cover with aluminium foil and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C – 350°F for 40 to 60 minutes or until the sausage is cooked through and the potatoes are golden. Halfway through the cooking time, remove the aluminium foil from the baking dish and keep cooking.
- Serve warm with some crusty bread (like my easy ciabatta).