If you follow my blog more or less regularly, you will know that I love desserts that can be served in shooter glasses. Creamy desserts that can be eaten with a spoon have always been my weakness, and I love to serve them in smaller portions, especially as part of a buffet, so I can mix and match a few different colours and flavours. Today’s recipe is a classic Italian Lemon Meringue pie, served in shooters! Top it with a delicious (and very easy to make) peach sauce, for the perfect spring dessert!
- 3 eggs
- 125 gms – ½ cup of sugar
- 250 ml – 1 cup fresh cream to whip
- 2 lemons, juiced (you will need ½ glass)
- 100 gms – 3.5 oz. meringues
- 1 tbsp Brandy
- Put the egg yolks and 100 gms – 3.5 oz. of sugar in a bowl and mix them with an electric mixer till they become creamy and almost white.
- In the meantime, squeeze the lemons and filter the juice (you have to obtain ½ a glass of filtered lemon juice). Add it to the yolk mixture together with the brandy and stir until combined.
- Put the egg yolk and lemon mixture in a sauce pan and cook it in a double boiler until it thickens and it lightly coats the back of a spoon. Set aside and let it cool down.
- In the meantime, whip the cream with the remaining sugar.
- When the lemon cream has cooled down, add half of the whipped cream to it and mix.
- Crumble the meringue in the remaining half whipped cream and mix.
- Put a layer of meringue cream at the bottom of the shooter glass and press it well. Now add a layer of lemon cream and so on. Finish with a layer of meringue cream.
- Put the shooters in the fridge to set for a few hours.
- For the peach sauce, just blend the peaches with their syrup and filter the sauce. Set aside and refrigerate.
- You can decorate it with extra crushed meringues. Serve it with the peach sauce on the top.