Crème brulée is one my favourite desserts. I love to break the thick and bittersweet caramel crust to find the silky sweet cream underneath. I love contrasting flavours and textures in food as you find that they all melt together when you savour them giving you ONE distinctive taste. It is a bit like all the experiences that come together to make one’s life. Philosophy apart, I like experimenting with this dessert! I had some passion fruit at home and some coconut milk left over from another recipe… and that’s how this recipe came about. I had already shared with you the recipe for a coconut crème brulée when this blog was only a few weeks old, but today’s recipe is slightly different and the addition of passion fruit makes it special. I only recently discovered passion fruit, as it was not available in Italy while growing up, and I completely fell in love with it. It has a fantastic flavour and it pairs really well with coconut. You will be transported to a tropical island with each bite and, believe me, that’s where I’d love to be right now!! Enjoy!
Ingredients (for 2 persons):
230 ml – 1 cup coconut cream
100 ml – 3.4 oz. milk
2 egg yolks
70 gms – 2.5 oz. sugar
1 tbsp flour
2 tbsp caster sugar
½ passion fruit
Put the coconut cream, milk and half the sugar in a pot and heat it on a slow flame until almost boiling.
Lightly whisk the egg yolks, the remaining sugar and flour in a bowl. Remove the cream from the fire and add the egg mixture to it, whisking constantly to prevent the yolks from curdling.
When well mixed, put the pot back on the fire and cook it on a very gentle flame, stirring continuously, until the cream thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon.
Now pour the mixture into the ramekins and let the cream cool down.
Put it in the fridge for at least 1 hour. When cold, pour the passion fruit pulp on the top and sprinkle it with 1 tbsp of caster sugar per ramekin.
Melt the sugar either with a blowtorch or by putting the ramekins under the grill. When the sugar becomes caramel brown they are ready.
Then let it cool and place the ramekins back in the fridge for at least 1 hour. Serve cold.
It is the end of the month again! Which means it is time to check out the great round up that Nancy from Spicie Foodie has put together of some of the best recipes from the blogosphere! Check out Your Best Recipe of May! I am contributing my Aussie Burger with “the lot” to it! Have fun browsing!
On a completely different note, I would like to THANK Vanessa from Homemade Bites for awarding MsM with the One Lovely Blog Award!
Vanessa, who lives in the beautiful Rio de Janeiro, has a beautiful blog! Please, check it out!!! 🙂
Obrigada, Vanessa! <3
Now… the rules are that, before passing the award on to other 7 bloggers, I write 7 things about myself. So, here they go!
1. Now that it is “colder” down here, I like to snuggle up with my 2 daughters on the couch and watch a DVD (or 2) with a nice hot cup of tea in my hands!
2. I like savoury things more than sweets, but I can never say no to chocolate!
3. The last book I read was Manil Suri’s “The Age of Shiva”.
4. I used to have more time to dedicate to my blog before my 2 year old stopped having her afternoon nap. That time, was the time I used to do my blog hopping. I soooo miss those days and can’t wait for my (almost) 5 year old to start big school, so I can get some extra free time!
5. I usually drink only water with my meals. I am not a big wine lover (though I never turn down a good glass of wine) and I do not like sodas.
6. I don’t recall baking bread before I started blogging. Yet now, I am getting addicted to it! There is nothing better than the aroma of bread baking in the oven! Especially when it’s cold outside!
7. I try and make a menu for the week so I can get all the ingredients I need from the store. The truth is, I seldom stick to the plan! hehehe
And here are the 7 blogs I am passing the award to:
Jolene at Yummy Inspirations
Fiona at Nuts About Food
Sawsan at Chef in Disguise
Lizzy at That Skinny Chick can Bake
Cate at Cate Can Cook
Nydia at Mi Vida en Dulce
Purabi at Cosmopolitan Currymania
Make sure you browse through all the amazing recipes the above ladies have in their beautiful blogs! I am sure you will love them, just as much as I do! Enjoy!
So… do you have more of a sweet tooth or do you prefer savoury treats? What’s the last book you read? And what do you like drinking with your food?Pin It