The weather is getting warmer around here… this is the time of the year when I prefer to eat out. In a few weeks it will be too hot for my liking. So I try to enjoy this weather as much as I can! Today I am going to share with you the recipe for a delicious treat which is perfect to take to picnics or barbecues. It is a savoury bundt cake made with salami and smoked scamorza cheese. What sets this dish apart from other savoury cakes is the fact that you add some boiled potatoes to the dough. This helps getting a very moist and fluffy cake after it is baked. I love the salami in it but I like the smoked scamorza even more. I know this may be a bit tricky to find (even though I do find it easily in Sydney), but you can substitute it with other smoked cheese or Edam, Gouda and other similar cheese. It is best eaten at room temperature… in the sun, but it also makes for a very comforting snack any time of the year! Enjoy!
- Mix together the flour, yeast, thinly grated Parmigiano Reggiano, chopped salami, chopped smoked scamorza, salt and sugar.
- Add the hot riced potatoes and mix. Add the melted butter and egg and knead until well incorporated.
- Grease a 20 cm – 8 inch bundt pan and put the dough in it.
- Let it rise in a warm place for 3 hours.
- Bake in a pre heated oven at 150°C – 300°F until it puffs up, then increase the temperature to 175°C – 350°F. Cook for a total of 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the ciambella comes out clean.
- Let it cool down before unmoulding and slicing it.