The other day I got a comment from a reader asking for a substitute for condensed milk, which is not easily available in her country. That got me thinking that I should put up the recipe for home-made condensed milk on the blog… as making it at home is very easy and it takes all of 20 minutes! You know I like making things from scratch and I am a strong believer of “home-made” cooking, whenever possible. Doesn’t it feel good when you know exactly what goes inside your tummy and in that of your loved ones? No hidden nasties or preservatives in this condensed milk and it tastes just like the canned stuff, if not better! You can use this for any recipe that calls for condensed milk, or eat it off the spoon… it is that good! hehehe
- Pour the milk in a pan and add the sugar.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer on a medium-high flame, stirring regularly. It needs to reduce by half its volume. This should take about 20 minutes. The milk can boil over anytime, so keep watching it.
- After about 17-18 minutes, the milk will turn a very vibrant color and the texture will be very frothy.
- Switch off the flame and add the baking soda. Stir well and let it cool.
- Once cooled, stir well and store in an air tight container or use immediately.