The first time I had this delicious Pineapple Vanilla Jam I was in Tahiti. The islands abound in both pineapples and vanilla, so to them is a normal combination. However, to my Italian taste buds it wasn’t and I was literally blown away but how good these two flavours were together! This jam has become a regular breakfast item in our house and I often make it when I find sweet pineapples. We all love it! Try it and you will be rewarded with a delicious natural jam perfect to have on toast for breakfast or to use as filling/topping for all sorts of tropical cakes and pastries! Enjoy!
- Put the pineapple and water in a pot and cook over medium heat, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until the pineapple has softened and the water has almost evaporated.
- Blend it with a hand mixer.
- Add the sugar and lemon juice and cook, stirring, for about 20 to 30 minutes or until thick. Remove the foam with a slotted spoon for a clearer jam.
- After 15 minutes, add the scraped vanilla bean.
- While the jam is cooking, put a small plate in the freezer.
- After 20 minutes, when the jam appears like it is beginning to gel, put the fire off.
- Put a small amount of jam on the frozen plate and return it to the freezer for a few minutes. If it wrinkles when you nudge it, it’s ready. If not, cook it some more and test it again until it’s ready.
- Store the jam in sterilised jars.